Friday, January 4, 2013

SON 20R and Cygolite taillight reviews

After work yesterday I rode the SART with my new SON 20R dynamo front wheel and Cygolite Hotshot 2-Watt USB Rechargeable Taillight. This was my first ride with them in the dark.

The dynamo hub was awesome. The light is as bright as my Niterider MiNewt 600 but I don't feel any drag from the hub. The light pattern is great and lights up the trail far enough for me to ride at 20mph comfortably. It's also perfectly bright as slow a 10mph and the stand light keeps it lit for up to a minute at a stop light. It's kind of heavy at 400g but just perfect for those all night rides. I now have a day and a night front wheel depending on the kind of riding I plan on doing.

The Cygolite raillight is awesome too. I reviewed it on Amazon and gave it five stars. It's visible during the day, but I really wanted to see it at night. It's incredible although it's very important to align it horizontally. That's how you make sure cars approaching from behind can see it but draughting cyclists don't get blinded.

I had to turn back early on my ride. There was a fire on the bike trail and it was blocked by five fire trucks with commensurate fire-fighters all doing their thing.  They almost had it out, but I decided to turn around rather than wait.

Backbay tomorrow with Amber and then the Views of Anacapa 200k on the 12th.

I'm very pleased to note I rode over 8000 miles last year and I hope to do the same this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment