Friday, July 3, 2020

SART no longer locked

I drove down to Yorba Linda last night to ride up and down the SART from Yorba Linda park to Katella. The free parking area was overflowing with softball teams so I started from the pay area. Three dollars seems quite reasonable.

I had a new flexible mount Cygolite hotspot taillight attached to see how it fared. It has the best flexible mount I've seen. I attached it to a seat stay and adjusted the angle until the beam was roughly horizontal.

I started at 7pm as the sun was getting low. There was a fairly strong headwind.


As I turned on Katella I made a stupid mistake and allowed my knee to come out wide as I pushed down on the pedal. I pulled something in my hip and was in severe pain for a few minutes. I decided to turn around and ride back with a tailwind in case the damage was serious. Fortunately, after 15 minutes the pain mostly went away and I was able to complete the ride.

After 19 miles I was back at the car, grabbed some water and set out for a second loop. Even after the sun had been down for 30 minutes and it was starting to get darker, my GoPro still takes good pictures although you can see the exposure time has increased causing some blurring at speed.


It still amazes me how stupidly some people behave around cyclists. I literally had two people look straight at me and then step out right in front of me. Perhaps they don't understand that I'm travelling at 20mph. I don't know.In the video below I had two front lights on and the runner still thought I would magically teleport through him at the last moment.


I finished the second loop around 9:20pm, grabbed water and ate some food, and headed out for the last loop. I reached Katella at 10pm and the gate was still open. I finished the third loop at about 10:30 with 56 miles and an overall average of 16mph and a moving average of about 18mph.

I drove over to the ARTIC at Katella and walked to the gates across the SART. Even at 11pm they are all open and unlocked. I don't think they're locking the gates anymore. This means we will be able to start the October 400k at 5am which means most riders will finish around 1am and not have to take the road detour on the way back.

Let's hope they don't change their minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment