Sunday, March 21, 2021

A busy day

 Yesterday, I hosted the 2021 Five Rivers 300k brevet - the first brevet I have hosted under the pandemic restrictions. I had 16 riders signed up, two were staff, one had to cancel, so there were 13 on the road yesterday. That was more than enough.

The riders started staggered between 5am and 6am. Because we pushed the date back two weeks, we were under daylight savings time, so it was dark for an hour more than I expected and it was cooler - around 50F.

The first crisis occurred at mile 4 when Eric double-flatted on a pothole and realized he didn't have a pump. I drove to meet him, but there was something wrong with his stem extender and we couldn't get air in his tires. I drove him to his home in Anaheim, he grabbed a new bike, and I drove him back so he could continue. He lost an hour, but he didn't give up.

Eric with his second bike

The next crisis happened at mile 6 when James hit some rebar and broke his light and suffered some other damage too. He decided to DNF at Duarte. Fortunately, that was the last of the crises until Greg injured his knee passing under PCH.

While they were all out enjoying the weather and the wonderful headwinds into Long Beach, I took my Brompton out to test ride my new aerobars! Checkout this sweet ride.


After I finished my test ride I started hanging out at the controls and meeting the riders. I met some of the leaders at Chronic Tacos, then drove over to the Crossroads Center and jumped back on the bike, riding back down the course to Irvine Blvd and back. Here's Back Bay for those who were riding too hard to enjoy the view.


When I got back to the Crossroads control I had some garlic noodles and waited for riders to come through.




When it got dark I headed to the end of the ride and hung out in the Goodfellas parking lot for riders.




I didn't have a hotel room booked for after the ride so about 11pm I started getting sleepy and decided to head home rather than wait for the last three riders.


I also noticed that I have just passed 100,000 miles career total on my rwgps account (nine years). Nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment