Wednesday, August 25, 2021

CycleChat.net

I've been participating in a UK cycling chat group at CycleChat.net and there's some very knowledgeable people in the group. I posted a question about floor pumps that are suitable for a Brompton (there's not much space between the spokes) and some clever chap suggested I take the good chuck from the bad pump and put it on the good pump. Saved me some money!

While I tend to get quick responses from the chat group, I can't say the same about getting stuff for the bike. Amazon is taking 2+ weeks to get anything to me, my LBS took 10 days to get a new bottom bracket in and still doesn't have my Wahoo Elemnt. Mind you, I tried to order one from Wahoo directly and UPS couldn't ship it, so it's probably all UPS's fault. They should rename their service "Priority two week delivery".

After 20 years or so as a member, I have left RUSA. They're not the group they were when I joined and I feel I've got everything out of them I can. I'm also worried about running events or being involved at a volunteer level because of the risk of lawsuits. It was good while it lasted, and I'm still going to do endurance rides, but they won't be constrained by a bunch of rules. I'm pretty sure Paul Rozelle is not going to host a Crackerswamp 1200k this year and that was the last thing keeping me in the group.

I did a fun ride on a really gnarly, hilly bike path on the north shore of Big Bear Lake in the dark last night on my Brompton. It's weird the way you seem to be going fast in the dark when you are actually going quite slowly. Still almost overcooked a corner. I had just installed a new chain so I was making sure it worked. I hope it lasts longer than the original Brompton chain.

Hopefully I'll get my new bottom bracket installed in time for the weekend ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment