Saturday, December 12, 2020

 My medium Borough bag for the Brompton arrived early and it really is a nice bag, although badly overpriced, even for Brompton gear. It's far less of a sail than the large bag, yet has many of the nice features.

Brompton medium Borough bag

I went for a bike ride on the upper SART on Thursday evening and couldn't believe the amount of motorized traffic on the bike path, all associated with the homeless encampments there. The homeless people are shamelessly driving cars and motorbikes up and down the bike path to get to and from their tents. There was one huge SUV parked on the trail while the driver's brother delivered drugs to one encampment.

I've been watching some youtube channels on cycling recently. There are several I can recommend.

Phil Gaiimon is a retired pro cyclist who now lives in Los Angeles.

Global Cycling Network (GCN) is like Top Gear for bicycles - well worth watching

Everyday Cycling has a lot of great Brompton info

I've been wanting to replace the M handlebars on my Brompton with the S style to provide more real estate but that involves replacing the stem and possibly the cables too which is quite an undertaking, especially as the stem replacement can only be done by a Brompton dealer. I came across a stem extension made in Japan that provides the same lift the the M bars do and it only costs $30 including shipping. It's called the SATORI by ABERHALLO. I would even consider replacing the tubing with something longer so I can mount lights on the ends.


For some reason black S handlebars on Amazon cost 50% more than silver but I shopped around and found Perennial Bicycles selling them for the same price. This is the same place I bought the Tern multi-tool from. I probably won't get them until next year, but I'm hoping to be able to put quick-release aerobars on which would really make my Brompton a long-distance bicycle.

Using aerobars on a 16" wheeled bicycle? That will take some practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment