Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Aerobar bag

Extending my discussion of bicycle bags, I asked my friend Richard Stum, owner and chief bottle washer at EOGear about the lack of bags that attach to aerobars. He suggested that he try altering his handlebar bag to hang vertically from aerobars. Both Amber and I have Profile T3+ aerobars which are ideal for this configuration. After a couple of tries I think Richard has the perfect aerobar bag.

It has a large main compartment with a moveable divider with full access via a double zipper. There is a zippered pocket on one side and strong velcro straps on the other for attaching a bulky item such as a wet rain jacket. It attaches to the aerobars with four short velcro fasteners.

Here's a picture from the external pocket side. You can see how the bag hangs down out of the way but doesn't obscure the front light. You can see it is more aero in this configuration compared to attaching to the handlebars.

External pocket suitable for maps, cue sheets, etc.

The double zipper makes the inside of the bag very accessible while riding. I use the movable separator to create a battery compartment at the front so I can power my GoPro. It would be easy to run a second cable back to my Wahoo for rides lasting more than 15 hours.

Here's a rider's eye view.

Easy access to snacks, glasses, and everything

 I bought one for Amber too. We far prefer these over the top tube bags that keep slipping off to one side or the other. This bag is at least twice the capacity of the largest top tube bag we could find.

For riders whose aerobars are too close to each other to use this configuration, you can also mount them sideways so that the main zipper is on the side and the external pocket is underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment