Thursday, August 4, 2022

Friendly horns and idiot riders

I rode my Brompton after work on Friday evening as I like to do in the summer. About a year ago I found myself riding along the beach path behind a cyclist who had a boom box. He was playing some rather good jazz so I was enjoying listening and I noticed that pedestrians were getting out of his way without him yelling or using a bell or horn. The music was getting their attention very effectively, but without being offensive.

I pulled out an old bluetooth player I'd had for a while and charged it up. I found an old SD card and loaded it with a bunch of classical music. As I started my ride I cranked the volume up to max (it's only about 2 Watts) and played it for the entire 3.5 hour ride. I'm impressed that an old, cheap speaker ran that long. It really worked! I only had to yell at two people, and one of those was a reflex as she ran out from behind a car. Now I need to remove some of the quieter tracks and add some Metallica and jazz.

So that was good.

On Sunday I rode Back Bay with Amber, taking a gamble that it wouldn't get too hot. The predicted high was 84F but I think it didn't quite reach that. Shortly after we started we saw this idiot.


He was riding with earphones and no helmet and decided to exit the bike path left without looking or indicating just as another cyclist was passing. They collided, but neither went down.


One thing that makes me angry is cyclists who don't treat their bicycles like they are real vehicles. You wouldn't do that in a car so don't do it on a bicycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment