Sunday, April 8, 2012

Benefits of a home gym

It has been two weeks since my accident and I finally got to ride again. The Serotta is still in the shop so I rode my Bachetta recumbent.a very flat 50 miles on the SART. The knee was very tight until the scab split and some icky stuff oozed out (TMI?). Much better after that happened. Perhaps now I've had some exercise I won't be so irritable.

About two years ago my youngest daughter moved out roughly at the same time as I was looking for a new gym. I was looking at $40 a month minimum for basic membership and realized I could buy a stationary recumbent for less than a one year membership. So I ordered a Schwinn 220 Recumbent Trainer  from Amazon and put it in my daughter's empty room. Then I added a small TV, a towel drawer, and a case of bottled water. Voila - home gym. I never have to wait for my favorite machine and the TV is always on the channel I want. The machines even have a little book ledge so I can watch Netflix on my Kindle Fire. Luxury.

My wife and I were so happy with the recumbent we bought a Schwinn 420 Elliptical Trainer six months later.

So when I hurt my knee two weeks ago, even though I couldn't bend it enough to use the recument trainer, I was able to use the elliptical within a few days. It was another 10 days before I could complete a pedal stroke on the recumbent. Having both machines available was a godsend. I'm sure it sped up my recovery significantly.

It has been two years since I bought the recumbent trainer and 18 months since the elliptical trainer. Total cost was about $800. Total savings so far is about $960. Both machines have paid for themselves and are still going strong. I use them about 4 hours a week and my wife and eldest daughter use them too. I can't imagine ever joining a gym again.

No comments:

Post a Comment