Sunday, August 19, 2012

Bicyling and Kayaking

I rode 65 miles with Amber yesterday from the Angel's Stadium to the Long Beach Marina and back to check out an alternative route for the 600k that I host each year. For some reason I was bonking even at the start of the ride which is weird because I had eaten only two hours earlier.

It doesn't really matter whether you think you should be bonking or not - you have to deal with it. SoCal is still in an extended heatwave and the temperature was about 90 when we started and about 85 at the beach so my solution was ice cream.  We sat in the shade to cool our external temperatures and ate ice cream to cool our internal temperatures and get some calories in. I think ice cream is mainly fat and sugar so it's not the ideal endurance food but it really hit the spot anyway.

We continued along the beach path to the Long Beach Marina and ate at Tequila Jacks. Next time I want to try the Yard House. The Marina is such a fun place. As we returned we headed off the beach trail at Belmont Pier and tried riding along 2nd St which has a bike friendly strip marked. It wasn't bike friendly at all with impatient drivers and people pulling out of and into parking spaces making cycling very dangerous. After two blocks we dropped down onto Ocean which is much better. I now have that part of the route figured out.

At Seal Beach we stopped to kayak for an hour. Even though I reapplied sunblock I forgot to cover my head so now I have a very red and sore scalp. Stupid. Those standup boards look like fun, especially when there are groups of what appear to be lingerie models wearing skimpy bikinis. SoCal Rocks!

Once we turned inland the heat really shot up and I just about died on the last ten miles back to the Angel's Stadium. The whirlpool bath when I got home was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment