Friday, February 8, 2013

Los Angeles Mayoral Race

On March 5th Los Angeles will elect a new mayor from a list of five. The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC) asked each mayoral candidate to answer some questions in order to gauge how bike-friendly they are. All five responded - here are the responses to the first question in the order they were received, together with my personal evaluation. Go to the LACBC site to see the full questionaire and responses.

1. Please share a memory involving a bicycle that has had a lasting effect on you (whether or not you were the one on the bicycle).

Wendy Greuel (5/5)
"I have participated in CicLAvia each year since its inception here in Los Angeles. Last year, I was able to share the experience with my son and thousands of other Angelenos who enjoyed the day on their bikes and on foot. I remember a woman riding next to me yelling out "I love LA!" It was a moment when I was very proud to be from Los Angeles and I fell even more in love with the city. My experience illustrates the positive impact CicLAvia has had on the city. It allows Angelenos to gain a fresh perspective on streets they may have traveled by car or bus. Getting to know these streets on a bike allows for a more intimate view of the city and allows us all to pay more attention to details that we might otherwise miss. It is experiences like CicLAvia, biking on the city streets without motor vehicle traffic, that remind me how accessible, diverse and beautiful our city can be."

"Growing up in El Sereno, we didn't have a car. In fact, we were too poor for Section 8 housing and barely had a roof over our heads. Riding my bike was for many years the only way I could get anywhere I wanted to go quickly and for free. My neighborhood was dangerous and there was a constant gang presence, but I always felt safe on my bike. It helped me travel, stay in shape, and feel free. In college, I rode a bike every day. Cycling has been an important part of my life."
 

Jan Perry (3/5)

"One of my best memories was when I joined thousands of Los Angelenos on bikes at the Los Angeles Marathon. Biking across our great city alongside other Angelenos helped remind me of the diversity of our city. It was a way to explore the city from the street level, enjoying the unique neighborhoods, architecture, and community that make Los Angeles like no other. It was a moment I will never forget."
 


"I grew up on a flat street in the Valley, and I remember the freedom of being able to bicycle safely to the park, to Little League, and to the bus stop."
Kevin James (4/5)


"A close friend told me about a close friend of his - Doug Caldwell. Doug was truly a rocket scientist. He designed the cameras for the space shuttle. He was working with LADWP to try to set standards for new homes that would usher in a new era in energy efficiency. My friend told me that Doug Caldwell was killed while riding a bicycle on August 20, 2010. Doug's story reminds me that bike safety isn't just a policy, it's about real people.

No comments:

Post a Comment