Thursday, November 14, 2013

Bravo Norco

A miracle occurred while I wasn't looking. The city of Norco, long reviled for it's anti-cycling stance, has finally marked a bike route with sharrows. For those who are unfamiliar with the term, a sharrow is a an arrow marked on the road telling motorists to share the road with cyclists. They're not worth the paint they're painted with but it's certainly a good sign. Even better, there is now a bike lane painted on Norco/Corydon.

The route that has been marked is the route that I've used to ride through Norco for many years so I highly approve of it. Not only did Norco mark a bike route but they did a good job of it. I guess I'm going to have to start obeying their stop signs now.

Next request - put a button on the lights at Corydon and River Rd that cyclists can get to. Right now we still have to get off our bikes, pick them up, carry them to the light that's set back 20' from the road, press the button, and carry them back to the road.

Also - how about extending the upper SART 200 yards so I joins up with California Ave. Cycling on Arlington is nasty and dangerous plus we obstruct traffic which no-one likes.

I went running last night and ran my first 10k. It took 1:13:42 - only a few seconds off my 5k pace of 36:30. That's half of a half marathon. Next week perhaps I could manage 12km. I'll have to see where the turn-around point would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment