Friday, February 28, 2014

P12 Insanity

Every month I ride a 200km+ ride for my R12 award and a 100km+ ride for my P12 award. For various reasons I left it very late in February to ride my 100km ride and had to schedule it for after work on the 28th - the last day of the month.

The weather gods decided to have a laugh at my expense by scheduling a major storm to pass through the Inland Empire on the day of the ride. I decided to try to complete the ride before the storm arrived. I almost managed it.

I got up at 3am and as I drove to the start of the ride the rain was very light. I got coffee, breakfast burrito and a receipt from Jack-In-The-Box and started the ride around 4:15am in light rain.

The storm had reversed the normal wind patterns so I had a strong tailwind all the way to the Lucky Greek at mile 32. Rincon is closed for roadwork but I was able to ride through and walk my bike around the closed gate at the East end. I got to the Lucky Greek a little damp just after 6am with a 17mph average and grabbed fries and raspberry coke. There was almost no traffic on the surface streets but the 91 freeway was already stop-and-go.

While I was in the Lucky Greek the rain started coming down hard. The return trip had hard rain and a strong headwind and took about 3 hours with an average of 11mph. I got back to Panera around 9:30am - frozen and soaked. I was at work by 9:45. That's OK, they owe me a whole day because I worked President's day - not knowing it's a holiday. I grabbed my change of clothing and towel from the car and dried off and changed.

I think I'll sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment