Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Anaheim to Oceanside 80 miles

Amber and I haven't had much luck lately riding the Anaheim to Oceanside ride lately. Last time there had been massive wildfires in Camp Pendleton so they had closed it. We felt it was time to try again.

We started early (for us) at 8:00am but it was already 80F in Anaheim when we started. The climb up Santiago Canyon was harder than usual because of the heat but we got to Cook's Corner a little after 10am where it was 85F. Amber had the French toast and I had a breakfast burrito. When we got cycling again it was 90F and climbed as high as 95 before we got to the coast.

By the time we saw the ocean it was back down to 80F and we picked up a nice tailwind. At San Clemente we stopped at a coffee shop and I had a caramel sea-salt iced coffee. It was fantastic and cooled me down wonderfully. After a leisurely 20 minute break we got going again and the climb up through San Clemente was no problem at all.

The leg through Camp Pendleton took us a mile or so from the ocean and I swear the temp went up 5 degrees until we returned to the coast at Oceanside. We had almost two hours to kill before the train so we enjoyed a slow dinner at Angelo's. I had a cheese quesadilla plate and Amber had a turkey burger. The refried beans were unusual - we think they had garlic in them - but the taste was awesome.

The train turned up on time for once but was so crowded there was standing room only. No problem- I told the conductor - we've been sitting all day.

It's not a tough ride by any means but the heat really drained me. I slept well that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment