Monday, September 8, 2014

Hurricane Norbert, Compression Socks, and Bike Racks

It has been a couple of weeks since my last post - nothing interesting to talk about. This weekend has been fun though.

Hurricane Norbert - a rare Pacific hurricane - is passing along the coast causing heavy rain and flooding in the area. It was my first chance to ride in a bona fide hurricane so how could I pass that up? I met Amber at Anaheim as usual on Sunday evening and we rode to Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach. There was no rain on the ride (lots in the mountains and Riverside) and the wind was milder than normal. It was in the low 90F when we started and very humid but as weather events go I wasn't impressed. I don't know what all those Floridians make such a fuss about ;-)

Because the weather was a bit iffy the beach path was nice and quiet and the wait for Beachwood BBQ was only 20 minutes so decided to eat there. I had the pulled pork sandwich and blue cheese grits. Amber had the chicken sandwich with the same side. Bloody marvelous. They're doing a line of wild game food now, but it looked like too much food for the middle of a bike ride.

What's the deal with compression socks? I bought a pair on Saturday. Surely they're just a re-marketed manufacturing error.

Customer: These socks are too tight!
Salesman: No, they're compression socks.
Customer: It says they're a medium but I can barely get them on.
Salesman: Costs extra for compression socks.

I'm going back to my old socks.

Some time ago I decided to replace my trunk mounted bike rack with a hitch mounted bike rack because the trunk mount keeps coming lose and  there's too much movement. I had U-Haul install a hitch receiver last month. Because I drive a Prius I'm limited to a 1.25" class I hitch.

I've been scouring Amazon.com to decide which rack I wanted. There's Thule, Yakima, Allen, ProBike, Kuat, and others to chose from. I was going to buy the Yakima but I noticed it has bottle openers built into the rack. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! What kind of bottles do you open with a bottle opener? BEER BOTTLES. That's like selling a car with a driver's side wet bar. Way to combine drinking, driving, and bike riding! I've had too many friends killed by drunk drivers to think this is a good idea. Shame on Yakima.

I bought a Thule from Cyclery USA in Riverside. They had a better price than Amazon (after I reminded them of the 20% Thule sale they were having)! Jim installed it for me - nice guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment