Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Heavy tires = easier no handed riding?

Sherry and I went for a short ride just to get out of the house, because a recent snow storm had us snowed in for three days. It was very cold on the ride - about 40-45F and our fingers were freezing but I was able to ride no handed and warm my fingers in my pockets.

For eighteen years I was unable to ride no handed. A year or so ago I bought a Trek 520 touring bike that has a more relaxed geometry and I found I could ride it no handed very easily (but only when it was completely safe). Once I had mastered riding that bike, I found I could ride my racing Serotta with no hands too - but it was more difficult.

Recently I changed from 25mm Vittoria tires to 28mm Gatorskins which are a lot heavier. One thing I notice is that it is easier to ride my Serotta no handed now that I have heavier tires. There's probably more gyroscopic stability or something.

So - fewer flats, better tracking in mud, and now easier no-handed riding. Lot's of benefits to these tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment