Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A new training ride

I have decided to improve my climbing by riding up Keller Peak road once a week. The road is 5.5 miles long and climbs from 6000' to 7800' by the time it reaches Keller Peak fire lookout. It is well paved and only has a few cars (I was passed by four during the hour it took to climb it today). I set a base time of 58:31. Starting after 7pm seems to reduce the bug and the heat problems. In fact it was below 60F by the time I turned around and started descending.

It's a pretty steady climb averaging about 6% but it touches 20% in a few places. By the time I get back to the bottom my rims are pretty hot. I put all my lights on the for descent. That's a Luxos U at full power, a Cygolite 850, Cygolite 600, and a Night Rider 600. When I got into my car and started driving, my car headlights seemed really dim!

Let's hope I can bring those times down.

No comments:

Post a Comment