Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Campionissimo - Dead man riding

I rode my Lucky Greek populaire permanent last Friday even though it was horrendously windy. I normally don't ride in such windy conditions but it had been raining the previous Friday so I hadn't ridden then.

I had a 25mph tailwind all the way out the the Lucky Greek and got there in 1:35. Not my fastest but pretty good. I've been losing some weight lately so I wanted to see if my average speed had improved. However my weak efforts were swamped by the power of nature so I have no idea.

I had my usual fries and soda and headed back into the headwinds which had not moderated in any way and was soon down to 10mph on my aerobars. It was a 2:30+ grind back to the start for a total of 4:08 which is my average for this ride. I guess doing an average ride time for such windy conditions might suggest I am improving but it's hard to tell.

I rode with Amber on Sunday doing the Beachwood BBQ ride. It was windy again so we had a strong headwind all the way out and NO TAILWIND on the way back. Man did we get screwed!

I have started considering ways to change the Triple Loop route for 2017. I have tentative routes for the first two loops. I moved the start inland because the hotels are nicer. Also I can avoid Camp Pendleton which has introduced a pre-authorization requirement. I will turn Las Pulgas into an info control.

I will have to test ride the route between the hotel and the SART. On the map it looks OK but there's nothing like getting on the bike to get the real feel of the route. I've simplified the second loop but I'm not sure about riding the entire length of 6th street through Corona. I used to do that when I rode home from Irvine to Riverside after work and never really liked it very much. I'll have to do some surveying to see what people think.

One nice option about the new route is that I can now offer a 200/400/600 combined ride. Apparently some of the 400/600 riders think the 200 option would attract spouses.

For now the tentative routes are at
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12777062
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13220784

A possible third loop route is
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12769626

No comments:

Post a Comment