Sunday, February 5, 2017

2017 Five Rivers 300k Brevet

No plan survives contact with CalTrans
(paraphrasing Helmuth von Moltke the Elder)

Event results can be seen here. The results will be posted to RUSA within a few days.

February the 4th saw the 2017 edition of the Five Rivers 300k Brevet. I rode the staff ride the weekend before, I even drove the last five miles of the route on the prior evening. But CalTrans decided to shut down Serfas Club Drive late Friday night with no warning - the main connection between north and south Corona for cyclists - again. I really hate CalTrans.

However, that was about the only problem we had on this ride. It rained on Friday and on Sunday but on Saturday eighteen riders left the Best Western, Corona at 6am under dry skies but on damp roads. David and Doug had wisely messaged me that they would be late so I returned to my hotel room and they hit the road forty minutes after the rest of the pack for a total of twenty riders.

Our only casualty was Boris who broke his carbon seatpost about halfway through the ride and had to call his wife to pick him up. Fortunately he was unharmed.

While waiting for the riders to return I went to my grand daughter's first birthday party



and also drove over to a Korean bakery called "85 Degrees" and bought a bunch of pastries.

Sun Wei flew around the route and completed it in 11:18 - a new course record. This was my cue to order pizza. As the other riders arrived they were treated to pizza (of varying freshness), Korean pastries, and cokes. When half the riders were in I ordered more pizza and Lisa and her group timed their arrival perfectly to coincide with the fresh pizza. It wasn't as good as Greg's but the riders didn't seem to mind too much. The pastries were very popular and I will be doing the same thing for the Orange ride on April 1st.

Steve, knowing he would be the lantern rouge, texted me as he reached the later controls which was much appreciated. I was able to text him directions around CalTrans. He arrived safely at 12:45am

We had only a couple of light sprinkles and the normal headwind into Long Beach. Considering the weather we have been having in the area lately, we were incredibly lucky.

I had a total of 21 riders and 20 finishers. Congratulations to all of you and commiserations to Boris. I hope that seatpost wasn't too expensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment