Monday, March 20, 2017

600k staff ride

Amber and I rode the Orange 600k staff ride last weekend but I flamed out at mile 170. It was a nutritional error compounded by sickness. We ended up with 210 miles and at least we succeeded in confirming that Amber will be able to ride the Million Meters of Milk ride in July. Her new 32mm tires relieved the pain in she had been experiencing in her wrists.

One thing I noticed is that the repeated sections of the route between the bike path and the hotel confused my GPS system. I have broken the route down into the three 200k loops that can be started individually each time you leave the hotel.

300k riders can continue to use the existing gps file
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18166171

400k riders can use
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19700350
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19695146

600k riders can use
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19700350
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19695146
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19695158

Note the gps files posted on the website are still valid - just not as convenient.

At this time there are no detours, road closures, road works, control closures or anything affecting the route. Of course we all know that CalTrans can and will close roads with absolutely no warning at all.

I want to remind you there will be no day-of-the-ride registration. I will post my room number on this Google group Friday evening as soon as I get to the hotel. Please come see me before 9pm to register and/or get your brevet cards. Please be sure to bring your applications, signed waivers, and cue sheets with you. I will have spares but not enough for everyone.

I will be in the hotel parking lot at the far end from the road at 4:30am to hand out brevet cards to riders who didn't get them on Friday. There will be a bike and reflective gear check.

If you didn't pre-register and couldn't get to me on Friday I will be able to register you after the other riders have started.

I will have water available in the room and pizza and soda from lunch onward. I will also make a trip to the Korean bakery because I know you guys like that stuff.

I hope you all have the same weather we did - it was perfect. Your long-range weather forecast is superb.

PS. Mark pointed out a discrepancy in the location of control #4. I will accept receipts from Shoreline Village OR Termino/Ocean.

3 comments:

  1. Terry, I'm having problems downloading the 3 segments of the 600 km. Loop 1 & 3 have an extra underscore in them that route 2 doesn't have. My Garmin because of the extra underscore overwrites loop 3 onto loop 1. I've tried renaming them but it doesn't work. Is it possible for you to remove the underscore ie. Loop_1 becomes Loop1 and Loop_3 becomes Loop3. Loop2 is already there and doesn't confuse my garmin. Sorry to bother you. I will be attempting the 600 on Saturday and I'll get my application in on Thursday.
    Thanks
    Mike Hollinden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    they don't actually have underscores in the name, they have spaces. However I have removed the spaces so all three segments' names have the same format and casing. Please let me know if you are still having problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much. See you Friday night.
    mike

    ReplyDelete