Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Fast solo 200k

Last Saturday I decided to celebrate getting over my cold by riding my Four Rivers 200k solo. I tried to set the best time I could, while keeping my calories to a minimum. It was a beautiful day with a high of 68F and mild winds.


Starting out on the SART

Nearly at the park

First control where they messed up my order
I got to the Jack in the Box which is the first control and ordered a breakfast croissant. Somehow I ended up with a junior breakfast sandwich and hash browns but I couldn't be bothered to wait for them to fix the order. I took one bite and burned my mouth so I shoved it into my Carradice bag and took off.

Time for breakfast
I headed up the San Gabriel bike path and about 30 minutes later I started to get hungry so I ate the breakfast sandwich which was still warm and kept going to the Shell control. There's a Subway there so I got the veggie sandwich (my favorite while riding). I got here to the halfway point in almost exactly four hours, but I'd had some tailwind.


Heading back towards the beach on the Rio Hondo bike path I picked up a headwind almost immediately. No surprises there.

Rio Hondo bike path before the Whittier Dam

I still had a decent average when I got to Long Beach. I shot some video as I approached the next control. As I passed the electronic sign I saw I was about the 700th cyclist to pass it that day.




I ate a Chronic Taco because their carnitas quesadillas are fantastic. This was my longest stop at about 30 minutes. I should take a photo of the food one day.

View from Chronic Tacos
I left well fueled and headed back towards Huntington Beach and then picked up a tailwind as I rode inland back to Yorba Linda. I got back to the car in 8:48 - one of my better times for a 200k.

No comments:

Post a Comment