Monday, September 23, 2019

Still hot

I haven't posted for a while because it's been too hot to do long rides, but the legs get desperate so Amber, Marty, Stacy, and I decided to ride my Four Rivers permanent despite predicted highs of 93F in Duarte.

It started off well, with cool, calm conditions and we rode down to the beach and along the beach path at a comfortable pace. As we headed inland to Duarte it heated up, but wasn't too bad. The car wash at the Mobil gas looked inviting but they wouldn't let us through on our bikes. Something about liability, they said. The thermometer said 92F, but it didn't feel too bad.

On the return to Long Beach the temperature spiked noticeably and the moderate headwind slowed us down too, although it cooled us. I tried the fish tacos at Chronic Tacos which were good, but not quite enough to get us back to the start. Fortunately Amber had half a giant cookie which got me home. We finished in 10:28 which isn't a great time, but it was nice to get some solid miles in.

Next weekend is predicted to be 10F cooler - can't wait!

The prior day, Sherry and I had hiked the Exploration Trail, about 9 miles with 1400' of climbing in 2h30 which is a very good time for us. Between the hike and the permanent I had an exhausting weekend. But good!

Exploration Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment