Thursday, October 24, 2019

Gi Fly folding electric bicycle

I came across this fascinating bicycle while reading an article on Argentina's economy. The bike is made in Argentina primarily for the US market. It has a number of interesting innovations such as a belt drive, proximity locking, solid tires, quick, simple folding, and an ingenious fender that rolls up out of the way. I really like that the top electric-only speed is 15mph. If you want to ride like a maniac you have to pedal. It's called the Gi Fly.


And it looks pretty good on the road too.


What's the cost, I hear you ask? A steal at $2,729 - hmm - more than I'd pay, but I bet it would be perfect for a lot of people.

If you're interested, the technical specs are here.

I do see a couple of potential issues though.

  • If the proximity locking is based on being within bluetooth range of your phone, what happens if the bluetooth fails while your're riding? Do the wheels suddenly lock? Ouch!
  • I bet that cool rollup rear fender will snap closed every time you hit a bump!

No comments:

Post a Comment