Monday, November 25, 2019

Electric Scooter crash

Amber and I rode Back bay on Sunday and came across a young electric scooter rider on the ground with road rash. She was pretty shaken up but surrounded by a group of cyclists who got there before us. I pulled out my Betadine wipe so she could clean up the road rash. I need to get a new one.

She explained that she was zipping along and all of a sudden the handlebars turned and she was thrown off the scooter.

I noticed she had slung her handbag over the handlebars and I have to wonder if that caused the crash. The steering on those scooters is very sensitive and a swinging weight could definitely cause the rider to lose control. This just re-enforces my belief that these scooters are more dangerous than most people realize.

As she was already surrounded by half a dozen concerned cyclists, Amber and I rode on to the Champagne Bakery and were dismayed to discover it has gone out of business. It was always so busy we can't understand how this happened. We feel guilty now for not going more often.

We turned around and rode to the Crossroads shopping center, one of the controls on my Five Rivers 300k. Ha Long makes the best Pad Thai and Amber tried the Garlic Noodles which smelled wonderful.

We ended up with 54 miles, a little climbing, and great weather and food. Next Sunday is Stacy's 10,000th km (k-hound) ride so that'll be a bit of a party!

No comments:

Post a Comment