Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Almost a Century

Amber and I rode almost a century on Sunday - our longest ride since the Covid-19 lockdown. We planned carefully to be as responsible as possible. I got hold of a proper mask, and we decided to eat at The Crema, a gas station, and a 7-11. The Crema was a bit naughty, but everyone there has always been so conscientious.

I think the mayor of Huntington Beach must read my blog (yeah, right) because she did exactly what I suggested and closed the beach parking lots but opened the beach path up. The beaches were almost completely empty except for the dog beach. What's up with that?

I finally had a good version of the custom mount for Amber's new tail light so I mounted it and roughly wired it up. It works great. I'm so happy she has that. I made her ride with it turned on during the day and it's not really daylight visible but it's fantastic when she goes through tunnels.



Bike traffic on the SART was back to normal with large groups, probably not socially distancing when they stop, but they're little to no threat to other riders. In fact, road traffic everywhere was back to normal, before, during, and after the ride. I think people are fed up with the restrictions. Hopefully we took enough advantage of the pause the lockdown created. Somehow, I don't think we did.

The weather was lovely with overcast for the start of the ride and clear skies around 80F for the high in El Monte.

Overcast :-)
For the past few weeks classic car owners have been driving around Seal Beach. We've seen some beauties. Here's one that particularly caught my eye.

Pretty
We finished with 96.5 miles in about 7.5 hours with about 6 hours of ride time. I'm planning an unsupported 400k when it starts to cool down as a training ride for the Crackerswamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment