Saturday, January 29, 2022

KICKR Snap and Zwift

For many years I've been using a website I wrote to simulate riding through Google street level land while on my Schwinn trainer. As the trainer I'm using is dying prematurely, I decided to invest in a Wahoo Kickr Snap smart trainer which I bought from REI. Being a club member I get $50 back which is pretty sweet.

Wahoo Kickr Snap

Personally, I wouldn't call anything that has to support my weight a "Snap", but it is what it is. I borrowed Sherry's Trek Domane 4.0 and replaced the stem with something longer and I'm good to go. It took a couple of attempts to get the trainer calibrated correctly but it feels about right now.

I subscribed to Zwift which is very cool. I get to ride virtual courses all over the world and can select flat or hilly, long or short, country or town. I particularly enjoy night riding around cities. It's very realistic (in terms of ride difficulty) and the hills really bite you in the butt. I run the app on my laptop with the companion app running on a tablet near the bike. This lets me make course changes on the fly. I watch Netflix or YouTube on the television so I don't get at all bored.


Judging from the state of my legs and the towel by the end of the workout, I'm getting a much better workout than I was before. Seeing my power numbers really helps me be honest with my level of effort.


I'm trying to average 150 Watts, but that takes a lot of concentration

There is no way to link a rwgps account to Zwift (major oversight) so I have to manually download fit files and upload them to rwgps. It only takes a few minutes, but it could be easier.

Just did a 10 minute max effort and got an average power of 194 Watts. This gives me an estimated FTP of 175 Watts. YAY!




No comments:

Post a Comment