Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Crashed Friday night :-(

So every ten years or so I seem to have an accident that keeps me off the bike for a while. I went for an after-work ride to Seal Beach Friday evening and as I was riding along the beach path, there was a pedestrian and his girlfriend walking up the middle of the trail with a walker coming the other way on my left so I went to pass them on their right.

As I always do I clearly called out "I'm going to pass you on your right". His brain wasn't working properly so he moved to his right. His girlfriend stayed where she was, clearly the smarter of the two, but this left me with nowhere to go. I rode into him, bounced into a wall, and then went down. Fortunately I wasn't going very fast, but still managed to badly sprain or fracture my hip. I also got some road rash on my elbow which bled a lot.

The pain wasn't that bad while cycling so I kept riding and turned around only at the end of the beach path. I rode 30 miles after the accident and didn't realize how bad my hip was. When I got back to the car I realized my right leg would not support my weight. I couldn't walk. Driving home was a bit painful, but getting down the steps to my house took at least ten minutes and a lot of pain.

I  bought some crutches from Walmart of all places, but they were the only local store with crutches in stock so kudos to them. They've really helped and I was able to go to work yesterday but it was exhausting so, as there's snow predicted today, I had to take to day off. I'm not sure when I'll be back on the bike, but it's looking like at least a week before I can even get on the trainer.

Yeah, I'm bummed. Hopefully this won't affect Lejog.

No comments:

Post a Comment