Thursday, February 10, 2022

Wheels, racks, and Zwift

I had to get Sherry's rear wheel trued and that, together with a new tire, fixed the thumping problem on the trainer. But while her wheel was in the shop I mounted my Serotta on the trainer and noticed my rear wheel needed truing too. Unfortunately the shop noticed one of my spokes pulling through the rim so I need a new rear wheel. They offered to rebuild the wheel on the existing hub for $340 but I decided to look for a quote from Peter White, who builds amazing wheels.

He built my front dynamo hub wheel about eight years ago and it has never needed to be trued. This is impressive. I called them up this morning and I'm getting a new Campy Record 10 speed hub, a solid touring rim, spokes, rim tape, and build for $385. After shipping it will be a little over $400. I'm expecting this to be the last rear wheel I will ever need.

Hopefully the old rear wheel will last until the new one arrives.

I got a rear rack for my Brompton from Perennial Bicycles and installed it Tuesday. It took about an hour to install with no blood, tears, or cussing. I used my new Topeak torque wrench which made it easier. The new mudguard sits very close to the tire. I hope that isn't going to be a problem.



I needed to remove the wheel to install everything. I can always use the practice because one day I will get a rear wheel flat and fixing them on a Brompton is not a trivial exercise. The only tricky part about the rack installation is that both the bolts that attach the rack stays to the frame are installed with the head to the left as you look at them from behind. Fortunately the old bolts and the excellent instructions both made this obvious.

I had a great workout yesterday setting a personal best 821 Watts and getting 10th place on the London sprint 30 day best times. Of all the riders that have ridden the sprint in the past 30 days, I placed 10th. I'm pretty chuffed about that. How many Watts am I going to have to generate to get 1st place? It doesn't bear thinking about.



No comments:

Post a Comment