Wednesday, February 2, 2022

I don't know how this works (but I like it)

I had to take my wife's bike's back wheel in to my LBS because it was out of round and making a thumping sound on the trainer. While it's in the shop I put my Serrota on the trainer and, for some reason, I'm getting much better power numbers. 

A few months ago I replaced the bottom bracket on my Serrota with a very high end one with 'ceramic bearings' and other fancy and expensive sounding features, mainly because you couldn't buy normal bike parts for love nor money. The bike shop told me the new bottom bracket would save me ten Watts or so, but I didn't believe them. I just assumed they were making up reasons to sell me a $150 bottom bracket.



But after putting the Serotta on the trainer and one training session, Zwift said it had calculated a new FTP of 237 Watts. I've no idea how it did that, but I will take it. I wasn't even trying. It's a fine line between a personal best and a heart attack and I think I'm getting close to it 😁

Update: I got my wife's rear wheel back and it was still thumping. I decided to replace the rear tire and found the tube was knotted up near the stem. No wonder it was making a racket. I removed and re-installed it and all is good now.

No comments:

Post a Comment