Sunday, May 15, 2022

There's a first time for everything

I have probably cycled over 200,000 miles as an adult but new things keep happening. Today's ride was one of them. Amber, Edgar, and I rode to The Crema today. I rode the Brompton to get a little better workout.

On the way back, Edgar hit a sharp metal object that sliced his Schwalbe Marathon tire open and blew out the tube. In the 100 yards it took him to find a good place to stop, the inner tube rotated a quarter of the way around the tire and the stem snapped in two. It was really odd looking for the stem and not finding it. I have dealt with many blow-outs, but never seen a tube do that.

I used a dollar bill as a boot, put a new tube in, and we rode the last six miles back to the cars at 10mph. I didn't want to ride too fast in case the boot failed and the tube blew out again. I only pumped the tire up to 50 psi on the assumption that a lower tire pressure would put less strain on the boot. I'm not sure if that's correct or not.

I could poke my finger through this hole.


No comments:

Post a Comment