Sunday, July 3, 2022

Lejog day 13 Inverness to Crask

Today we rode from Inverness to Crask. It was belting down most of the day. Alan, our ride leader, informed us at the start that the bike path on the West side of the Kessock bridge was closed and we would need to take a detour to use the East side. One of the riders who knew the area would lead the pack through the detour. Unfortunately I needed to stop at Highland bikes to buy some waterproof booties because my shoes hadn't been dry for three days so we didn't get guided over the bridge. However I did get some lovely booties, although not at the great price Michele had got hers for.

We mucked around for a bit finding the detour but were lucky to run into Mike at the same time as a local was giving us bad directions. Mike had the right route programmed into his head unit so we followed him.

Crossing the Firth of Forth

Riding along the Ness estuary was idyllic.


The roads in Scotland made me glad I was riding 32mm tires. I felt sorry for Melanie who had opted for 28mm. I gave her my Lantiseptic butt cream but I'm not sure how much that helped.


The road the Crask is the A836 which is super narrow with signed passing points. Someone with an advanced sense of humor had carefully scraped off the right side of each A which turned PASSING POINT to PISSING POINT. Oscar Wilde wishes he had thought of that. Someone else, who didn't quite understand the joke, just obliterated the A completely.

Because I had asked nicely, Michele and I were allowed to stay at the Crask Inn while most other riders were bussed to Lairg or Altnaharra. The Crask Inn is a real treat. For one thing, the owner is a good cook and managed to make lasagna exquisitely for us. Plus he has a lovely dry sense of humor.

Two thumbs up for the Crask Inn.


No comments:

Post a Comment