Sunday, July 3, 2022

Lejog day 14 Crask to John O'Groats

Today is the last day from Crask to John O'Groats. It's a day of lasts. The A836 continues to Altnaharra then we transition onto the B873 which runs generally downhill alongside Loch Naver, then the river Naver to Bettyhill. Surely one of the most scenic sections of the entire route.

Is this the most northern peacock in the world?


At Bettyhill on the north coast it gets lumpy with several noticeable hills. Slowly climbing the first, I was passed by three riders on e-bikes. "Bet you wish you had one of these", said the first. A little later the next e-bike rider said the same thing. "Yes", I admitted - they looked pretty good.

On the third hill I passed one of the e-bike riders struggling to climb. His battery had died. Ha! Karma!

Michele and I left lunch a little before the rest of the crowd and we were moving well with a tailwind so we somehow managed to beat the last brew stop which was disappointing. So we ended up getting to the end before the other riders, which was not our intent. But it was raining so we sat in a cafe at the end for the others to turn up. 

I had given my Lantiseptic to Melanie so my butt was really sore. Eventually everyone reached the end and we took the final photo. 


The Seaview Hotel had a fan heater so we were able to dry all our clothes. They didn't smell any better, but at least they were dry.

Once again Peak-Tours demonstrated why touring with a quality company is worth the money, especially if you are already paying to fly back and forth over the Atlantic. If I had been self-supported my crash would have wrecked my schedule and hotel reservations, possible jeopardizing my ability to catch my return flight. With Peak Tours it was only a minor inconvenience. I want to thank Mike, Mark, and Wendy for their support and help. I'm going to thank Wendy a second time because she provided us with food at the brew stops.

I spent a lot of time riding in rain this year, but a month later England is in a heatwave. I'm so glad I wasn't climbing huge hills in 100F temps thinking "I could have suffered like this at home for a lot less!"

So - Moselle to Mozart in two years on the Brompton?

No comments:

Post a Comment