Saturday, June 16, 2012

Gordon Tyler

Today was a sad day. I just got back from a memorial service for an old friend of mine, Gordon Tyler. Gordon introduced me to cycling as an adult twenty years ago. I was packing on weight as I had just turned 30 and quit smoking (actually on the same day).

He took me for a twelve mile bike ride around his neiborhood in Moreno Valley. It took me an hour and at the end of it I sat on one of his bar stools and couldn't get off it for 20 minutes. With his encouragement and access to his 'magic' bike I became a cycling enthusiast.

Gordon helped me buy my first real bicycle - a bright-red, used Trek 1400 with a Shimano 105 12-speed groupo on an aluminum frame. A real work horse which my wife and eldest daughter both rode as they became cyclists with me.

We drifted apart over the years but oddly I saw a cyclist on the SART while I was riding my 200k last week who looked exactly like Gordon. I almost turned around to chase him down but I'm glad I didn't because I now know it couldn't have been him.

I met a lot of old friends at the memorial that I've drifted away from. I think it would be nice to drift back together again. Next week I hope to ride with Tom for the first time in a decade.

Gordon will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment