Sunday, October 7, 2012

Still working on next year's 600k route

Rode 75 miles with Amber yesterday and it was finally cool enough to enjoy. I wanted to try some modifications to last year's 600k final loop. The return section through Irvine just has too many stop lights. The idea was to pick up the 'Regional Bike Path' as early as possible, then work up to Chapman and finish along Walnut. However, the route to the very start of the bike path is complex and requires a lot of left turns on busy roads. The climb up Pioneer, Jamboree and Chapman at the end of a 600k wasn't a good idea either. So it looks like we will pick up the bike path at Alton, which is much easier to navigate and still avoids quite a few stop lights. We'll be finishing the ride either on the old Sunflower route or on MacArthur - a test ride is required to determine which feels safest and is easiest to follow.

I'm looking forward to riding my new 100k permanent populaire on Wednesday after work. I think I can start around 4:30pm after work and still get home and showered at a reasonable time. I'm going to try to ride that once a week while the weather is suitable. I'm also planning on riding my October R12 next weekend.

Last week I rode a total of 230 miles. I'm halfway from Lands End to John O Groats - somewhere in Carlisle. It's a wonderful ride, except for the day 7 which was pretty mediocre. I jumped on the scales for the first time in several months and I was amazed to see that I've lost 20lbs in that time. That's so cool.

I'm supposed to take Sundays off but I really want to ride! My rules, I can break them if I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment