Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Wife

Today my wife rode to The Crema and back with my daughter and I. My wife used to ride double centuries but after being diagnosed with breast cancer and other health issues she was off the bike for about three years. She's finally coming back to the level of fitness she used to enjoy. Today was her longest ride in over three years.

She had never been to The Crema before because my daughter and I only discovered it last year (thanks Dave). We had perfect weather at the start - about 75F - and no wind. I pulled her down to Huntington Beach at a gentle 15mph even though Sherry kept sneaking past me. We stopped to stretch at the beach then headed up PCH to Seal Beach.

The Crema was awesome as usual. I had my usual fried egg sandwich, Sherry had the breakfast crepes, and Amber had her usual fitness omelet. None of us managed to finish our meals even though we really wanted to. The portions are that big.

We headed back to Huntington Beach, stopped to stretch, and then headed back inland with a brisk on-shore tailwind. I was pleased to see Sherry was holding 18mph even after exceeding her personal mileage best. But four miles from the trucks the Santa Ana headwinds kicked in. I don't remember any tailwinds when we left the trucks. We got hosed :-(

So the last four miles were hot and windy - but Sherry ground them out (like she had a choice, lol).

All this is even more impressive considering that only three days ago Sherry hiked the Loch Levin trail which is a 12 miles round trip with 2,100' of climbing. Wow.

Well done, Sherry.

No comments:

Post a Comment