Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Reasoned Decision

I have just finished reading the USADA (US Anti-Doping Authority) Reasoned Decision concerning Lance Armstrong's doping activities. It's well worth reading - all 200 pages of it. USADA published this document because Armstrong opted not to challenge the doping accusations made against him in 2012. It is a detailed and thorough list of accusations, with copious supporting evidence, that Armstrong, together with every world-class American cyclist, has, since at least 1998, used EPO, steroids, cortisol, and blood doping.

I remember when Tyler Hamilton tested positive for blood doping in 2004 at the Vuelta and again in 2009 and was suspended from professional cycling. I remember assuming he was innocent and that the foreigners were simply being vindictive. I was wrong.

I remember when Floyd Landis tested positive for testosterone in the 2006 Tour de France and reluctantly accepting he was probably guilty. That was an easier call after watching his suspiciously strong climb on stage 17, especially after he had ridden like a club rider on stage 16. I was right.

It seems those were just the two that got caught. All the American riders were doping and Armstrong was making sure they did. He may never have failed a drug test, but the evidence that he was doping is overwhelming. Now he has appeared on Oprah and he claims to be contrite. I don't believe a word of it. He's just sorry he got caught.

Ironically I think he would have gotten away with it if he had only won two or three times. The truth is the UCI doesn't seem to be too eager to expose dopers in the peleton. Read the Reasoned Decision and you'll see what I mean. But Armstrong got greedy and that's what got him more attention than he could dodge. So now the record is five consecutive wins again - although there's no reason to assume Indurain didn't dope.

One of the more sickening parts of the Reasoned Decision starts at page 149. It lists Armstrong's intimidation tactics including threats against Andreu and Leipheimer's wives. The doping I can understand - you have to dope to win a major tour - but the intimidation and threats made against other riders and especially their spouses is unforgivable. That's why Armstrong should have all his titles stripped and should never be allowed to compete in any sport again - ever. If he tried to register for one of my brevets, I'd ask RUSA if I can tell him to piss off.

While we're at it I think we should take a closer look at the UCI. They should be much more aggressive in pursuing dopers. I get the distinct impression from the Reasoned Decision that they deliberately and actively impeded the USADA's pursuit of Armstrong in collusion with Armstrong himself. There's also evidence that Bruneel (Armstrong's team manager) had inside information about the drug testers so he could warn his rider's of impending 'random' drug tests. That should be examined more fully.

A few years ago Armstring would likely have sued me for this blog (assuming enough people read it) just like he did the Sunday Times of London. I hope they sue him to get back the money he got from suing them. The court should add substantial penalties.

I bet Kristin Armstrong (his ex-wife) is glad she's no longer part of his life.

One sad thing is that Armstrong is clearly a talented cyclist. He could have been a great cyclist without doping. All his natural talent and all his hard work is obscured by his cheating. What a waste.

A few years ago I contemplated changing cable providers so I could watch the Tour de France. Now I don't give a damn. Thanks for nothing Armstrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment