Saturday, January 4, 2014

Some people just don't pay attention

I found an old pair of profile aerobars that I bought many years ago for my wife, but she didn't like them. They're extendable so I pulled them out to 33cm (same as my old Scott bars) and put them on my Serotta. I had to move the computer to the nose of the aerobars and retape them but I like the result.

Amber and I rode our latest Santiago Canyon ride today which was the first ride with the new aerobars. It was also the first ride using my new GoPro with an external battery pack. I installed a 32Gb flash drive an it looks like it has room for about 4h15m of video at the highest resolution. That's pretty sweet.

We added five miles of bike path and nice roads to the beginning of the ride and took the killer (literally) fifteen mile section through Encinitas and Leucadia off the end so we ended the ride at Oceanside. It's a keeper.

We climbed Santiago Canyon (a category 2 climb) and ate at Cooks Corner again. Just before we got to Cooks Corner I broke a spoke in my rear wheel by slamming my heel into it at 30mph. Fortunately the wheel wasn't too far out of true so I used my spoke wrench to pull it out and we continued.

Amber had the grilled cheese and I had the BLT - both excellent. Then we bombed down Alisal Creek trail which is lot's of fun with a full belly. On the way down we encountered a dumbass on a skateboard, on the wrong side of the trail, with his head down, and earphone in. Amber called once but he didn't respond so I yelled at him at short range, just before I creamed him. I have to say he had an excellent response time. Take a look at the video.


After that close encounter we kept on to the coast and followed the usual route towards San Diego.

In San Clemente we came across a cyclist with his bike upside-down trying to fix his chain. We stopped to help and realized his rear-derailler appeared to be jammed in his rear-wheel. After checking it thoroughly I realized that it was only being held there by the cable. I loosened the cable and the derailler sprang back where it should have been and I could see his rear hanger was bent which was putting tension on the cable, which was forcing the derailler into the wheel. Fortunately he had a steel Serotta. All he had to do was find a competent mechanic who could carefully bend the hanger back. It's so nice to be able to help people.

We got to Oceanside with an hour to spare before the train was due so we stopped at our favorite, Angelo's. I had a carb-heavy breakfast and Amber had fried zucchini. It was tasty but a little heavy on the breading.

We got to the Amtrak station 25 minutes before the train and tried to guess where the baggage car would be. As usual we got it wrong. After running the length of the train with our bikes the conductor gave us a tip. On that train, the baggage car is always at the North end. Whether the train is going North or South, the baggage car is at the North end. We'll remember that.

The temperature was 70-75F and there was an intermittent, light head-wind. What a perfect day.

Amber's new dynamo hub and light just showed up so she should be able to get that built into a wheel pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment