Monday, February 16, 2015

Justice?

I just read with great pleasure that Lance Armstrong has lost a lawsuit to SCA for $10m. This was $7.5m that SCA did not want to pay him for winning his 5th Tour de France plus $2.5m damages awarded to him. SCA got the whole lot back. I'm sure this is not the only lawsuit Lance will lose in the coming years. Hopefully he'll be filing for bankruptcy soon. This should send a strong message to would-be cheaters currently in the sport.

Do you think professional cycling is clean? How clean is clean? I don't think it's clean enough. I'm not even sure what clean enough is. I just know I have no interest in watching professional cycling right now. I'd rather get out there and ride myself. Maybe that's for the best. Perhaps instead of cutting my Saturday ride short to watch the Tour it's better if I just ride a couple of extra hours.

I've been riding my Trek 520 touring bike a lot more lately for several reasons. First I've realized I should be replacing the Campy chain on my Serotta every three months. This is an expensive proposition but the Shimano chain on my Trek is less than half the price of the Campy so if I replace them both every six months, I'm saving some money.

Also I'm still trying to break in the Brooks B17 saddle on the Trek. I'm still a bit sore at 50 miles so I reckon I have another 500 miles to go before it's properly broken in. Lastly, the Trek is a lot more work to ride than the Serotta so I get a better workout when I ride it.

Trek 520 - Shiney!
The Trek came with a rack and I had an old Nashbar rack bag which works fine. But recently I had to stop to help someone fix a flat and they had no gear so I had to get my tire lever and flat repair kit out. This is not easy with a rack bag as you can see above. I'm seriously thinking about replacing it with a Topeak quick release rack and bag. It would certainly improve access to the saddle bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment