Sunday, January 17, 2016

It was one of those days...

It was one of those days when everything goes right. The weather was perfect - overcast with a touch of sun, cool, calm, dry - perfect. For some reason I was firing on all cylinders. I couldn't believe I was holding 22mph on the bike path at about 80% effort. I kept checking my computer to see if somehow it had slipped into km/h mode. There was no perceptible tailwind - I was just in the zone. I was carrying some food with me so I didn't have to stop except for two minutes to grab more fluids.

I got to the beach market in Newport Beach in record time. Huge waves were rolling in off the Pacific and the wind started to freshen from the northwest. Yes - I would have a tailwind headed inland. I turned around and the wind continued to freshen until I had close to a 20mph tailwind. I was a little tired by now but I was still able to hold 20mph on the bike path. Riding in traffic was slower but I destroyed my previous record for the course.

Yeah it was a good ride.

I'm on a short course of prednosone, an oral steroid. Now I know that they don't have any of the muscle building effects of anabolic steroids, but I couldn't help thinking "I'm Floyd Landis". Maybe my strength was purely psychosomatic. Wouldn't that be cool. Hope I can avoid the 'roid rage and shrinking genitals.

No comments:

Post a Comment