Sunday, January 31, 2016

Knee pain

Amber and I rode The Crema yesterday. The weather people forecasted a winter storm for Sunday so we rescheduled for Saturday. I know randonneurs are supposed to be able to handle all weather conditions but there's not point deliberately courting bad weather.

While I was preparing my bike at Anaheim Amtrak station Greg and Stacey Kline rode by on my SART 200k reversed permanent.

The clouds towards the beach looked ominous so Amber and I both packed an extra layer onto our aerobars. They are so useful for carrying a little extra stuff. It was cool and a little breezy and the storm gave every indication that it was closer than the weather weenies predicted.

Amber's knee has been troubling here for the past few weeks and her description of the pain sounded like her saddle was too low. It's a split leather saddle that has a fair amount of sag in it. I tightened it up to raise the center part about 1/4 of an inch. Hopefully that will help a bit.

The Crema was as awesome as ever. Just as we were leaving our waiter mentioned that he felt a few drops of rain. I explained to him in no uncertain terms that it wouldn't dare rain until we were done with the ride. Unfortunately it did start raining just before we got half way back and we had to deal with increasing rain almost all the way back. We only managed to ride out from under the storm when we were about five miles from Anaheim. We were soaked. That extra layer felt pretty good.

Somehow Greg and Stacey managed to avoid the rain entirely. I've no idea how they did that.

No comments:

Post a Comment