Saturday, February 13, 2016

Crackerswamp 1200km randonnee

Well I just signed up for the Crackerswamp 1200km randonnee. It's run by Paul Rozelle, a chap who seems to have an excellent sense of humor. It is based in Tavares, FL and takes the form of a four-leafed clover with 400k on the first day, 300k on the second and third days, and 200k on the last day.

I don't know the precise route yet but I have virtually ridden some of Paul's brevets in the region and I am hoping the randonnee follows the same routes because it looks very pretty down there. I've never been to Florida but the climate models for October show highs around 85F and high humidity. That's a little outside my comfort zone.

My plan is to do as little riding between noon and 6pm as possible. But with a 4am start, I see no way to get my sleep patterns shifted around. I'm still working on that.

So now I need to get as many flat, hot miles in as I can. I don't see a way to train for the humidity. I also need to find a good hard case for my bike - I'm thinking that will be about $500. Add $600 for the return flight, up to $300 to transport the bike, rental car, we're talking some serious money. Still, it's a lot cheaper than PBP.

No comments:

Post a Comment