Monday, March 11, 2019

Four Rivers - Two Flats!

Greg and Stacy Kline, Marty, Amber, and I all rode my Four Rivers 200k permanent last Saturday. It was cool and breezy with some threatening clouds to the South (where the wind was coming from). This is the first 200k of my 600 Triple Loop event coming up on April 6th.

We headed out around 8am and within ten miles I got a flat in the rear wheel. It turns out when I put the tire in from the prior flat I had twisted it somehow and caught it between the bead and the rim. When I inflated it to full pressure it quickly pinch-flatted. Bummer.

Passing through Huntington Beach we went past a kite display that was very cool so we stopped and took pictures. Check out the huge gecko kite.



We got to The Crema and got a baguette and a quiche to go which we ate on the bench outside. You don't get the same selection as when you wait for a table, but it's a lot faster. We had a tailwind as we headed to Duarte which was normal and we got there in good time.

That means we had a headwind back to Long Beach but as we approached Long Beach it died down which was inexplicable. I got a second flat in my rear tire which turned out to be a sliver of glass - thank goodness Marty was there to find it. There's a lot of glass as you return over the dam on the Rio Hondo trail.

We ate at Chronic Tacos and I replaced my normal quesadilla with a couple of tacos. This was a mistake. Twenty five miles later I ran out of energy and we had to stop while I ate some GoCubes. There isn't a lot of calories in them, but it's sugar and it's enough to get me to the end of the ride.

We finished in 11:30 which is pretty normal for our group. We really couldn't have asked for better weather - it was cool and dry and we actually had more tailwind than headwind.

Here's a photo diary from Greg and Stacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment