Sunday, March 3, 2019

One Big River 300k Brevet

In past years I've been able to boast that my brevets have had very good luck with the weather. Little did I know the weather gods are jealous gods and they know how to hold a grudge. This year the rain has been biblical. If there's one thing harder than a 200k brevet in the rain, it's a 300k brevet in the rain (please don't think about the obvious corollary to that maxim). Yesterday, I hosted the Five rivers 300k brevet. The day before was nice. The day after was nice. The day of the event was not nice.

Twenty seven brave souls started in light to moderate rain at 6am in Corona. I was concerned that, because the route uses so many riverside bike trails, we might see closures and lost and frustrated riders. I was made aware of one trail closure due to a damaged storm drain in Newport Beach so had to make last minute arrangements to accommodate this. Other than that, I was aware of no issues with the route. Of course, with such heavy rain, on top of all the other rain we've had lately, the situation was fluid (pun intended). All I could do was cross my fingers and trust my riders.

After the riders had left I drove over to the trail closure and saw it was only partially closed so I hadn't needed to alter the route after all. I decided not to confuse the riders by telling them to ignore the detour.

Backbay from the trail closure
Judging from the receipt times, riders made good progress to the first control in Seal Beach despite the rain. Times were also good at the second control in Duarte but I was saddened to hear the pizza place has moved. Still -most riders rode so fast they got to Duarte before pizza was open and were forced to scavenge at the 7-11.

Two weeks ago the Rio Hondo trail was closed but last week I rode through without a problem. I knew if the Rio Hondo rose much there would be problems through this section but I think the riders got through here quickly enough to avoid any flooding. The usual headwind back to Long Beach was as strong as I've ever known. The unusual SW wind combined with the normal onshore flow created a double whammy - I hope every one was able to ride this stretch with some friends.

The last 100 km saw riders slow down significantly. I think the extra effort of riding in the rain started to show. Riders started getting lost more often although I don't think the route gets any more complex through this section. Instead of relaxing by an illuminated fountain at the last control, they were looking for hot food and shelter.

There's a section of bike trail in Peter's Canyon going under the 5 freeway that floods easily. By the time most of the riders reached it (in the dark) there was significant water on the trail and it was getting worse by the hour. Some riders who knew the area rode around but most rode through it. I had a detour worked out and available to anyone that called, but no-one seemed to need it. I'm glad you were all experienced enough to handle it well.

Greg and Stacy Kline were standing by in case anyone DNFed and needed a ride back, but fortunately their services were not needed. The last riders got back with nine minutes to spare. Round of applause, please!

I tried something new on this event that I will definitely do again. In addition to the ever popular pizza, I ordered coffee, hot chocolate, cookies, brownies, juice, and bagels from Panera. They delivered it at the specified time, just before I expected the first riders back. They threw in some chocolate chip marshmallows and mini bagels for free. I had more than enough food for everyone as they returned. You deserved it.

I tried to take photographs of everyone when they got back. If I missed you I apologize. Note how reflective you all are when I was using the flash. That's great.

I have already submitted the event results to RUSA. For those of you heading to France later this year, that's one more ride in the bag.













4 comments:

  1. Great report! Thanks again for a memorable time Terry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry. I did enjoy the food selection at the finish. Appreciate your concern for us riders on the day too. Pete Eade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being a great host!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent ride report!! Thanks for all of your efforts, Terry!
    Q

    ReplyDelete