Saturday, August 3, 2019

Taking advantage of the weak Pound

About a year ago my daughter and I rode Lejog with Peak Tours. It was almost fully catered with overnights in B&Bs and hotels. It cost about $2200 for 14 days plus $600 for the plane fare. We paid an additional $200 to rent high-quality touring bikes so we wouldn't have to deal with transporting our bikes.

Today I got a email advertisement from Cycling Adventures for some rides. I clicked on one in the Natchez Trace and was astounded to see it cost $1400 for 5 days of cycling - fully catered and camping.

So right now you can get a 14 day tour with every meal catered except the evening meal and great overnight accommodation (and it was great) for $2200 in the UK or a 5 day tour, fully catered and with tents for $1400 in the USA. I'm not saying Cycling Adventures is overpriced, but the weak Pound is making the UK a great place to vacation.

I think the UK is going to crash out of the EU with no deal and the Pound will plummet - possibly reaching parity with the Dollar. The next year may be the best opportunity to have a UK vacation ever.

My daughter and I are heading back next Summer for a one week hiking vacation. I've found tickets on Virgin for $500. The vacation is going to cost about $800 (maybe less by the time we pay). It's going to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment