Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Custom light mount

I was browsing through the Peter White website as I sometimes do and came across the "Busch & Müller Toplight Line Brake Plus" dynamo powered tail light that brightens when it detects you slowing down.


Busch & Müller Toplight Line Brake Plus
The only problem is that it is only designed to attach to a rack. The light is about 90mm wide and the mount bolts are 50mm apart. I want to mount it on my seat stay. Fortunately, I have a friend with a 3D printer and I have a copy of Design Spark and I'm not afraid to use it.

After a couple of hours and some rejected prototypes I came up with this design.




It is designed to be held together with a 50mm hose clamp. When attached to a seat stay with a 25 degree pitch the light will be horizontal. Note the channel to accommodate a disk brake cable running down the seat stay like Amber's bike does. On my bike, I'm using it to route the light cable. When installed, the light clears the spokes by 1/4" which, hopefully, is enough. 

Here are some images of it on my bike.





Now to do a night ride with Amber.

No comments:

Post a Comment