Monday, October 19, 2020

1Up bike rack and super fast 200k

 Last weekend I was driving to the start of a ride when I got rear-ended on the freeway. My 1Up bike rack took all the damage and ended up with a slightly bent hitch bar which can be replaced for $65. My beloved bicycle was undamaged. Those 1Up bike racks are built like tanks! I can't recommend them highly enough.

This weekend I decided to try a new strategy for brevet riding. I rode the Four Rivers brevet using Perpetuem and Endurolytes and stopping as infrequently as possible. Using this technique I was able to reduce the first and third stops to five minutes to grab water and mix in powder. I kept the second stop as short as possible and finished with a total time of 8:47 for a flat 200k. Although I never lacked for power and I didn't have cramping problems despite it reaching 88F, this is not the most enjoyable way to ride a 200k. I was also completely spent at the end and could not have ridden another 100k.

I think if Amber and I were riding together using this technique, we could have finished in 9 hours feeling strong. It's worth thinking about this for next year's 600k.

No comments:

Post a Comment