Monday, March 12, 2012

Cold weather cycling

Rode a 200k permanent yesterday ending up with 127 miles. My new Sigma 1609 cyclecomputer worked out really well. I like the temperature feature and the big readout. It was cold when I started - about 50F.

While 50F isn't very cold it got me thinking about the times I've cycled in snow and freezing rain. Cold weather isn't a problem if you know how to deal with it. The best way to deal with it is to know ahead of time what the predicted highs and lows are along your route. Arm warmers and leg warmers are your first defence as the weather cools - they are light and don't take up much room. As the temps drop closer to 50F you will need to add a wind shell which is also very light and rolls up into your jersey pocket when you need it. I have Pearl Izumi arm and leg warmers and a Pace wind shell (15 years old - best value ever).

When the temperature continues to drop you might need to add a vest which layers well with the shell. As your fingers get cold you can add long fingered gloves but I prefer to use silk ski undergloves. Mine came from Campmor and are so thin they fit under my cycling gloves. You also need to consider replacing the wind shell with a heavier jacket like the Performance Century II jacket. You'll notice I'm staying away from the high-end jackets - I find they tend to be too warm and I sweat too much with them.

At some point I will replace the undergloves with lightly insulated full-fingered gloves and replace my cycling socks with neoprene socks. Mine are 1.5mm thick but if you have room in your shoes you can go up to 2mm. Many people have booties that go over their shoes to protect their toes.

Below 35F I'll also add a neck/head warmer from Buff which is very flexible and about the correct weight for exercising. I also own cycling tights and long sleeve jerseys which I can add at a pinch but they are bulky and I only use them if I know it will need them for the entire ride. At this point I might take my Carradice bag so I have somewhere to stow all this gear if it's too much.

I also bought a Capilene base layer for Iditasport many years ago and I still use it sometimes (but it has to be really cold). I remember putting it on near the top of Mt Baldy while it was snowing during a 200k brevet and I was able to bomb back down to the valley. There were other riders who had to keep their speed way down because they were freezing.

You generate a lot of heat when you ride (remember you burn through 4000 calories every 100 miles). There is a tendency to overdress. If you're comfortable standing around before the ride, you will overheat during the ride.

All the above advice assumes you knew the ride would be cold. I've done a couple of rides where the rain/cold caught me by surprise. You don't have to risk hypothermia.

The first trick is to find a big garbage bag. Ideally you'll find a grocery or hardware store. I've seen a rider take the bag out of a public trash can, empty it into a second trash can, and use the bag. That was disgusting. Tear holes for your head and arms and put it on. It works best if it is between two layers. It will warm you up almost as soon as you start riding.

The second trick is for your hands. Go to a gas station and beg or buy two diesel gloves. They give them to you if you buy diesel fuel. They're just very cheap, generic food handling gloves. Put them on under your cycling gloves and they will quickly warm your hands up when you start riding. If you can find them at the store you bought the garbage bag at, even better.

Both these solutions will end up with you cycling in your personal puddle of sweat but they're cheap and they work. I'd like to thank the Davis Bike club for both these ideas which have saved my bacon more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment