Thursday, March 1, 2012

If I didn't live at the top of a mountain...

Don't get me wrong, I love living at the top of a mountain in a place most people don't get to see unless they're on vacation. But I work 5,000' lower than I live so commuting to work on my bicycle is not an option for me. Even if the climb home at night didn't give me a heart-attack the road is simply too dangerous to cycle on.

I see no end to the increases in gas prices. If I could cycle to work I would save $2,500 a year in gas. Of course I'd spend an extra $500 on food but I think physically, mentally, spiritually, and economically I'd be better off. Even if I could cycle, though, there's no showers here at work and no secure place to store my bicycle. My daughter works at UCLA Medical Center and they charge employees $11 a day to park. They justify that as an attempt to encourage carpooling and use of alternative transportation.

It's easy to encourage employees to reduce reliance on cars when you're making money from it. But corporations also need to provide positive encouragement too, like hours that match public transport availability, work from home, secure bike storage, showers/changing rooms, etc. I'm just not seeing enough of that part of the equation.

You don't change people's habits with all sticks and no carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment