Friday, November 2, 2012

Lucky Greek again

I rode my Lucky Greek 100k populaire last night after work but because of some production issues I couldn't start until after 5pm. I was feeling oddly strong, possibly because the normal head winds were very mild. I made it down to the Lucky Greek in less than two hours, bought fries and coke, took a bio-break, put an extra layer on, and headed back.

Coming back along the river trail I had to make an emergency stop to allow a skunk to cross the bike trail. Critters packing mercaptans get priority. For some reason I thought that whistling would reassure the skunk that I had good intentions. I was cycling on my own so I'm allowed to be a bit of a nutter. I don't think the skunk cared one way or the other.

I finished the ride in 4h10 including the 15 minute break at the Luck Greek and a couple of minutes with the skunk. My overall average speed was 15mph. One of my strongest rides for a while.

This morning I am sore. I felt so strong on the ride but sore the next day. If I was getting physically stronger I would not expect to be sore. So I wonder if I was only psychologically stronger - ie it was all in my head. An unusually light headwind means I ride faster and because I ride faster I feel stronger. Because I feel stronger I ride faster. All I know is I had a great ride.

It was nice and cool too - 57F at the end of the ride. I was wearing arm warmers, leg warmers, and a light jacket, unzipped. It's nice to know your cold weather gear works. I would have been comfortable even if the temperature was 10 degrees cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment