Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Reaffirming my youth

My daughter got married on Sunday. I'm so proud of her and she's chosen a great husband. I'm sure they will have a long and happy life together.

I came out of the ceremony feeling old so I rode my 200k brevet the next day. Since I had such a good ride last time by taking my time I decided to do the same thing again. It was 60F at the start with almost no wind. Lovely.

The first stop was at In'n'Out burgers where I sat down and enjoyed a double-double, fries, and a coke. They were unusually slow but, hey if I was in a hurry I'd be driving a car, right? Moving on I picked up strong off-shore flow but I figured it would make a nice tailwind coming back. The wind was strong enough to blow leaves uphill towards me.

OC Parks has refurbished the Edna Park restrooms. Very nice. They have installed a new type of drinking fountain that jets straight down from the top. It's big enough that you can easily fill a water bottle - fantastic.

I ate at the Newport Beach corner deli as usual but the sandwich counter was closed. So was Newport Burger across the road. Apparently they're both closed on Mondays. I'll have to remember that.

I headed back and still had a headwind. Huh? Yes the leaves were being blown towards me again. Might even have been the same leaf. Sucks. Oh Well.

I got to the Lucky Greek at mile 97 and stopped for a gyro and fries and three pints of soda. Yummy. At the head of the SART at mile 106 I picked up a tailwind and motored on home feeling strong. Even though I spent at least an hour off the bike I finished in 9:33 which is close to a personal best.

Does Coke count as a performance enhancing drug? Sure feels like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment