Saturday, March 30, 2013

Altruism in cycling

I remember Lance Armstrong slowing down to wait for for Jan Ulric after Jan crashed off the side of the road during an intense stage of the Tour and I remember Tyler Hamilton slowing down when Lance was brought down by a spectator's musette bag. I remember comparing that to hearing that professional basketball players are fined for helping an opposing team member up off the floor. That's one of the things that attracts me to cycling. Despite the doping there is still respect and honor in the peleton.

Endurance events seem to bring out our charitable side even more than racing events. My experiences in endurance cycling have made me think this is so.

I remember my first 600k - I ignorantly chose one of the most difficult 600k routes on the West Coast - Kevin Main's Cayucos 600k. Fortunately Kevin Main is an incredibly strong rider and a nice guy too. I don't know anyone else who could and would have helped me complete this challenge. He drafted me into the headwind and he kept an eye on our time when I barely knew where I was. He gave me candy when I was bonking and recommended replacing my saddle with a Brooks when my backside was on fire.

My second 600k was Greg Jones' Mount Pinos which is an easier ride, but it's still a 600k. I remember on the second day being part of a group of six riders who were on time to finish, but without much of a time buffer. One of the riders was struggling and slowing the group down but instead of riding on without him we rallied around him and dragged him to the end in time, even though we jeopardized our own times to do it. Vickie Backman was instrumental in herding the group as it started to fragment.

I find myself accepting help from those stronger than me and offering help to those in need during endurance events. It's not uncommon for the person who helps me and the person I help to be the same person as our strength ebbs and flows during the event. Because it's not a race, it's easier to help other participants. There is strength in numbers - drafting, navigation, group cycling at night - these are all reasons to ride as a team even if the team as a whole rides slower than the fastest member. That slowest member of the team might be the one that prevents the group from making a navigational error and riding ten extra miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment